Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Customer service

Have had two wonderful experiences which were totally unexpected! To be more precise, therefore more words are used to describe the incidents and to show my gratitude. Pls bear with me...

Went to Bugis for last minute shopping yesterday afternoon. I was looking for something to buy at a department store where I met with this sales assistant, a middle-aged woman who seems to be very experienced. Her psyching technique had me picked up a suit, which is for my mother, in the end (maybe that's how I'm inexperienced in shopping).

Due to the hefty price tag, I asked her if there's any promotion going on. She replied that only the store's card member enjoys a 10% discount. Realising that I’m not a member from my facial expression (that's why I said she's an expert), she immediately offered help by borrowing one membership card from her colleague! Oh what a great customer service, though she's risking of being captured in the CCTV!

Eventually, each party was happy. She has closed another deal while I enjoyed the discount and had my day enlightened. A nice and helpful sales assistant does create a mutual pleasure for the deal, and this is what I’m always looking forward to encountering with. Don't you think so?


***

I left my hostel at 1745 for Senai Airport, which should have already been too late for my flight at 2110. Bringing together two luggages totaling more than 15 kg (how strong I am, hah), I started off the journey on a double decker with full load and then continued on a train.

It was rush hour and I was also rushing but had to be squeezed in the public transports like canned satin fish. On top of that, I still had the burden that made me sweated all along the way. My mind just couldn’t stop from planning another course to take if current plan fails. Anyway, I was fortunate enough to reach City Lounge by 1920 and saw the signboard above a small building: Senai Airport. That’s it! (fyi, that building is the Airport's office in the city and is actually a bus terminal)

My safe plan was to check in an hour before departure but that could only work if I were to be able to reach airport in 50 minutes’ time. However, the place seemed very empty with very few people and I wondered if there was no more bus service. Immediately, a taxi driver approached me and said, “Airport?” I asked “Mana bas?” “Baru saja jalan.

Oh tidak! Somewhat disappointed, but I didn’t really want to spend that much despite the time was close. So I replied, “Tak apalah, tunggu sekejap lagi,” as if I got much time to spend though still hoping to get there on time.

I continued to walk to the building. At the doorstep I was greeted by a security who queried on my fight’s time. The same went with the counter girls before letting me to buy the RM1 ticket. I also found the time for next bus’ departure time on an electronic display just above the door.

What a pleasant sight it is! In spite of hunger and my exhausted body dashing around for nearly two hours (with heavy loads), the surrounding gave me a peace of mind, which is of great importance. The service and the place's decoration was totally unexpected, especially in Malaysia. (Maybe you'd know what I mean if you're a Malaysian. No, not kidding. :p) Finally I was able to fly on schedule and now I’m home. I welcome this because it shows a good sign or benefit of privatisation and due to competence.

So if any of you, citizen of Malaysia, out there happen to have any good business ideas, please, do please do not hesitate to build your own empire to compete with the existing corporation and live out your dreams. Maybe like another Tony Fernandes with his AirAsia. I hope I would benefit from yours, and hopefully you will benefit from mine as well. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home